Fri 14 Jul
Job Posting: Office of Student Life - Events and activities Co-ordinator
Dublin City University Office of Student Life (OSL)
Events and Activities Coordinator
The Office of Student Life (OSL) provides a platform for the activities of the Students' Union, Clubs and Societies in Dublin City University. It facilitates funding, training, staffing and facilities provision to enable students to fully exploit the opportunities for learning through engagement with extra-curricular activities. It complements the academic mission of the University, thereby contributing to the holistic development of our students. March 2018 will see the opening of the purpose built, ultra- modern Student Centre, with world class facilities, providing excellent opportunity for student engagement, thereby enhancing the overall student experience.
The Events and Activities Coordinator will report to and be responsible to the Manager – Office of Student Life. (OSL) and will work closely with the sabbaticalteam and other relevant OSL student led Committees. The role will be carried out in a professional and representative manner and will be instrumental in maintaining the strategic direction of the Office of Student Life in line with the activities and aspirations of the membership of the Students’ Union.
1. Coordinate the planning and execution of DCU’s Office of Student Life annual events calendar.
2. Plan and deliver all key DCUOSL events, including booking equipment, completing risk assessments, sourcing venues, artists, resources, staff and
materials, and working with the Communications & Marketing Coordinator to plan promotional activity.
3. Coordinate DCUSU’s events and activity during specific weeks e.g. Freshers’ Week.
4. Work with Sabbatical officers and OSL staff to develop new ideas for events based on student demand and our strategic vision.
5. Liaise and build relationships with key stakeholders, within the university and externally.
6. Provide advice and training to colleagues and students on event planning and delivery, including Clubs and Societies Committees and assist Class Reps in the planning and organisation of Class or Faculty Balls.
Required Experience and Qualifications:
1. Possess a relevant 3rd level degree. It is expected that the post-holder will have at least 1-2 years’ post-graduation experience in a similar role.
2. Demonstrate relevant skills and experience of involvement with a Students’ Union, Clubs and Societies, Youth Work or similar membership organisation,
including motivating and developing a team.
3. Understanding of and, a commitment to equality of opportunity and engagement
4. Experience in planning and working to a budget.
5. Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
6. Ability to work flexibly, manage working time effectively and prioritize projects appropriately.
7. Ability to work autonomously, without close supervision.
8. Be innovative, forward thinking and have an ability to learn quickly.
9. Have the ability to work as part of a team, which includes staff and students.
10. Enthusiasm for working with and supporting students.
11. Constantly striving to offer excellent customer service.
The competencies required for this post are:
Continuously strives to achieve high standards in the completion of tasks and in approach to working with people.
Communicates in a clear manner and actively listens and engages to gain understanding.
Building & Maintaining Relationships
Has the ability to develop and maintain good working relationships with fellow colleagues and others, within and outside the organization.
Knowledge of the Organisation/ Sector
Has the ability to continuously learn and understand the structures, processes and relationships within the OSL and DCU. Develops confidence in what they
know about DCU, the OSL and the student environment.
This is a ten month (renewable) contract position, beginning mid – August.
Salary: circa €26,000 per annum pro rata for 10 months.
Hours: Average of 35 hour per week, to include some evening/unsocial hours.
Place of work: Across all DCU campuses in Glasnevin, St Patrick’s Drumcondra
and All Hallows.
To apply: Please send CV via email to Una.Redmond@dcu.ie before 12 noon on Wednesday July 26th, 2017. Interviews for this position will take place on Tuesday August 1st, 2017 with second round interviews, if required on August 3rd, 2017. Candidates called for interview will be expected to display evidence of prior involvement and demonstrate initiative and creativity in relation to Events and Activities.
Note that the successful candidate may be required to undergo Garda vetting in line with the OSL Child Protection Policy.
This is not a Dublin City University Post.